We are delighted to be adding more Overlappers to our truly wonderful team! We are seeking two full-time Senior Designers.
Overlap welcomes you as you are. We place a high value on diversity and building an intentional, inclusive culture that welcomes employees to engage their whole selves. We know that diverse teams make our work better, our ideas more creative, and our process more rigorous. We know we have work to do in this area and are committed to learning and growing. Diversity and inclusion relate to all our core values, especially Empathy, Collaboration, and Creativity.
We are a strengths-based environment and encourage Indigenous, racialized, and LGBTQ2 persons, as well as individuals with disabilities or from marginalized and other underrepresented groups to apply. Please do reach out if there’s any assistance that we can provide for your application process.
$63,273 – $75,551
Design Director/Practice Lead
No, but team mentorship and project direction required
Senior Designers play a key role in the delivery and project leadership for client projects at Overlap. Senior Designers are supportive and willing to coach and mentor those around them. They are curious and seek feedback from more senior members of the team.
This client-facing role must have a powerful sense of when and what to communicate, both internally and externally, in order to guide clients through a seamless and rewarding experience. The Senior Designer will understand when someone might need a little reassurance along the way and will have a firm sense of how to communicate effectively with clients and colleagues.
Working under the direction of Practice Leads, you will manage multiple projects for clients, facilitating powerful human-centred design-based processes that drive results across our main practice areas of strategy, engagement and service design.
Key Job Responsibilities
- Able to balance leading multiple client projects and successfully directing project team members to achieve results for clients based on the brief.
- Participate in collaborative, weekly agile planning
- Willingly take on tasks and make the people around you better
- Ensure that Overlap is meeting contract requirements across projects you are leading
- Develop an understanding of the client’s business environment and strategy
- Work closely with Practice Leaders and Project Managers to inform progress across projects and to plan strategic interactions with the client so that the client’s satisfaction is met.
- Play an active role in team meetings
- Contribute to and improve Overlap processes and systems
- Collaborate with members of the team and client partners to define project objectives, set key performance metrics
- Plan and manage the design research activities (research strategy, ethnographic based user research, secondary research, UX research…) collaboratively with the team.
- Plan and execute system mapping, customer journeys, persona development, scenarios, and service specifications.
- Be passionately curious—you are excited to be in the field and are as inquisitive about other people and their stories as they are empathetic
- Assemble strategic insights into presentation materials based on the audience
- Be familiar with emerging behaviours, technologies, and companies/projects that are changing our client’s business or the world around us
- Act as an internal resource, championing our content, storytelling, making the people around you better
- Lead or collaborate on client engagements on a day-to-day basis
- Be able to lead executive/expert level client presentations
- Be captivatingly articulate in your storytelling—your presentations inspire the design team, get people out of their seats and bring tears to their eyes
- Are comfortable in consulting engagements
- Support a client-centric perspective balancing Overlap needs, the integrity of the design principles, values, and process
- Proactively thoughtful as you challenge conventions and inspire teams and clients to translate insights and observations into tangible and useful ideas and outcomes
- Structure user-centered research and work with internal and client teams through fieldwork to determine users’ physical, cognitive, social, emotional, and cultural needs.
- You must be able to unpack meaning and find unmet user needs from sometimes obscure and disparate findings—framing these insights in a way that inspires design teams to develop imaginative and appropriate solutions.
- Demonstrate knowledge, confidence, and adaptability in all stages of the design process.
- Help or lead facilitation or moderation of teams and clients through analysis and synthesis of user research, helping to distill the most important insights and link them together in frameworks, principles, and implications for design.
- You are confident in leading teams and clients through a range of activities.
- Communicate design insights and opportunities through all phases of the design process. This includes delivering quick but compelling inspiration to help distill the most important insights and linking them together in frameworks or principles that inspire design.
- Be a compelling storyteller—a critical element of this role is to deliver insights about people and behaviour—verbally and visually—in a way that generates empathy, emotion, commitment, and engagement from the client and design team.
- Special projects as assigned
- Minimum of 5+ years experience designing in complex projects.
- Education in service design, business design, or a related design discipline.
- A background in visual and UX design will be considered as a plus.
- Strong knowledge of human-centred design processes and passion for solving complex Service, UX, Strategy, and Engagement challenges.
- Strong background in service and strategic design.
- Strong skills in conducting and synthesising research, insights, and findings.
- Strong skills in structuring and visualising journey maps, service ideation, concept communication, and specification.
- A hands-on Service Designer with skills in visual and interaction design a plus.
- Excellent portfolio showcasing design solutions and strategic approaches.
- Ability to expertly facilitate workshops, set design sprints, and hold seminars and training sessions.
- Knowledge of agile approaches and techniques.
- Ability to communicate effectively with different audiences.
- A solid competency in storytelling and public speaking. You are comfortable explaining your ideas to client stakeholders and to ideate the best means to present your conceptual work.
- Love both strategy, service prototyping, and hands-on UX.
- Attention to details and organisational approach.
- Ability to understand the impact of technology on design deliverables.
- Strong interpersonal and client management skills.
- A love of collaboration and learning.
- A fearless and positive attitude.
Overlap has 9 core competencies that we use to evaluate candidates. We would expect in an interview for you to provide examples demonstrating ability across these 9 dimensions. The dimensions of each competency listed below are the expected skill level for this position.
- You can manage primary research using established methods.
- You can identify significant research findings and synthesize them in an actionable report.
- You can write and speak clearly and intelligently about complex ideas, systems, and strategies.
- You can maintain productive dialogue with all my colleagues and clients without dropping balls.
- You can create an artifact that is error-free down to the letter, fact and pixel.
- You can be entirely responsible for a winning deliverable.
- You can develop an insight that is actionable, goal-oriented and provides a unique orientation for a project.
- You can originate an idea that works in the marketplace.
- You can successfully deliver a winning presentation/facilitation without assistance.
- You can engage clients, regardless of their position, with a narrative that wins them over.
- You can sense and solve an emergent problem in the midst of a complex and quickly moving initiative.
- You can take an approved strategy and bring it to life in a winning form.
- You can finish a project on-time to client and colleague satisfaction.
- You can noticeably improve a colleague’s capabilities over time.
- You can unearth a valuable new opportunity for my clients in the midst of a conversation with them.
- You can create and maintain an authentic relationship with a senior client that extends beyond our engagement.
- You can negotiate competing priorities and successfully incorporate diverse viewpoints.
- You can solicit input, feedback, and expertise from colleagues with ease that noticeably improves the work.
Please email your application as an attachment using the button below, or send it directly to email@example.com.
If you have any questions or need assistance with your application, please contact Overlap Canada’s General Manager Rachel Hofstetter.