We are delighted to be adding another Overlapper to our truly wonderful team!
Overlap welcomes you as you are. We place a high value on diversity and building an intentional, inclusive culture that welcomes employees to engage their whole selves. We know that diverse teams make our work better, our ideas more creative, and our process more rigorous. We know we have work to do in this area and are committed to learning and growing. Diversity and inclusion relate to all our core values, especially Empathy, Collaboration, and Creativity.
We are a strengths-based environment and encourage Indigenous, racialized, and LGBTQ2 persons, as well as individuals with disabilities or from marginalized and other underrepresented groups to apply. Please do reach out if there’s any assistance that we can provide for your application process.
$81,788 – $106,714
General Manager, Overlap Associates Canada
Overlap Associates Canada is looking for an Engagement & Service Design Director who is excited about developing new business opportunities, managing client projects and relationships at senior levels, as well as, overseeing and growing an interdisciplinary team of designers, facilitators, and engagement specialists to do award-winning work. You will work collaboratively with other Directors as part of the Overlap Associates Canada Leadership Team. You will be accountable for business development related to engagement, service design and transformation projects across different sectors. Like many design consultancies, our ability to win new work is a direct result of relationships, designing inspiring project approaches to respond to client challenges, and delivering exceptional results.
Your professional background might be in design research, as part of a customer experience (CX) team, or newly emerging service design team or agency. Regardless of how you’ve come to the work, you are passionate about problem-solving, surfacing meaningful insights, working collaboratively with colleagues and pushing the approaches and thinking about stakeholder and community engagement using design methods. Because of this, clients will see you and the team as critical to supporting their thinking, helping them to imagine new possibilities and dream about what’s possible.
Key Job Responsibilities
Project Delivery Responsibilities
- Lead and/or support engagement projects across a range of industries and project types from Fortune 500 clients to vital community-based organizations
- Direct and coach a strategy and positioning lens for client deliverables—provide teams with feedback to shape deliverables and ensure they meet project objectives
- Troubleshoot project issues that impact project/team success, engage in projects and refine deliverables as needed
- Work with other leaders and internal stakeholders of the company to grow our engagement and design capabilities to help the team advance our practice
- Coach and support your team when a Senior Designer/Project Lead is unsure how to move forward on an issue
- Monitor and coach performance through 1:1s, performance reviews, etc
- Contribute to the formal development of engagement practice systems, methodologies and applications to inspire innovative approach and techniques that address evolving needs
Business Development Responsibilities
- Identify, connect and build client relationships (This can look different depending on your background and approach. For some, you are coming with a book of business, for others, you have a network of professional contacts that you’ve built over your career and they’ll be excited to learn more about your new role and the ways Overlap can support them. There are lots of approaches to developing business.)
- Work with the Account Team to develop and manage account plans to grow the business and achieve financial goals
- Partner with clients and become a sought after thought leader helping clients uncover needs and better define problems
- Expand client accounts through exceptional work and by building mutually beneficial relationships
- Assume responsibility for all aspects of the project life cycle including: project proposals, approaches, budgets, pitches, financial reporting on projects, status reports, issue management and risk mitigation, communication plans, delivery and project retrospective
- Work in close collaboration with other colleagues to find new opportunities together and support clients
- Lead the design of the approach and proposal to support Senior Designers/Project Leads to execute incredible work
- Attend regular leadership meetings
- Support business planning
- Represent Overlap externally and be a support to all Overlappers as a leader within the organization
- 10+ years of work experience including managerial roles
- 3+ years of professional experience in engagement work or service design, or an applicable skillset, preferably at an established agency, management consulting firm and/or hands-on industry experience
- Strong core consulting skills, including: ability to craft compelling and actionable strategies, meeting and workshop development, management and facilitation, storytelling, writing and presentation development, ideation and concept development, stakeholder interviewing and engagement, insights development and data analysis
- Excellent project management skills, with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
- Business development experience in both organic growth and new business development
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proven experience in human-centred design/design thinking practice
- An undergraduate degree/diploma of any kind
- A background in visual and UX design will be considered as a plus.
- Strong knowledge of human-centred design processes and passionate about solving complex Service, UX, Strategy and Engagement challenges.
- Strong background in service and strategic design.
- Strong skills in conducting and synthesising research, insights and findings.
- Strong skills in structuring and visualising journey maps, service ideation, concept communication and specification.
- Excellent portfolio showcasing design solutions and strategic approaches.
- Ability to expertly facilitate workshops, set design sprints and hold seminars and training sessions.
- Knowledge of agile approaches and techniques.
- Ability to communicate effectively with different audiences.
- A solid competency in storytelling and public speaking. You are comfortable explaining your ideas to client stakeholders and to ideate the best means to present your conceptual work.
- Love strategy, service prototyping and hands-on UX.
- Attention to details and organisational approach.
- Ability to understand the impact of technology on design deliverables.
- Strong interpersonal and client management skills.
- A love of collaboration and learning.
- A fearless and positive attitude.
Overlap has 9 core competencies that we use to evaluate candidates. We would expect in an interview for you to provide examples demonstrating ability across these 9 dimensions. The dimensions of each competency listed below are the expected skill level for this position.
- You can design and manage an original method for primary research.
- You can evaluate complex data and findings for validity, significance, and implications.
- You can proactively communicate with clients, prospects, partners and candidates to generate a winning outcome.
- You can persuade clients and colleagues to see the situation/world from my point of view.
- You can synthesize complex information into a winning deliverable that tells a compelling story.
- You can create an artifact that sets a new standard for everyone around me.
- You can develop a framework for innovation that guides the creation of new insights/ideas.
- You can develop an insight or framework that becomes fundamental to our clients’ business, organization, system or worldview.
- You can overcome challenges during a presentation/facilitation and turn objections into deeper understanding.
- You can lead a room in any context, commanding attention or action when necessary and getting the best out of everyone.
- You can keep a team of designers, partners and clients focused, on-task and excited about their role in a complex initiative.
- You can take a focused initiative and turn in into a catalyst with broader organizational impact.
- You can get more out of an individual or team, people go above and beyond when they work with me.
- You can achieve a winning outcome in spite of an imperfect or imbalanced team.
- You can participate in a deep, thoughtful conversation with a senior client about any part of their business or organization.
- You can establish a career partnership with a key client that transcends roles and accelerates our mutual success.
- You can build and maintain relationships within cross-functional teams, internally and with clients, partners and stakeholders.
- You can introduce frameworks and techniques that support collaboration with clients, partners and stakeholders.
Please email your application as an attachment using the button below, or send it directly to email@example.com.
If you have any questions or need assistance with your application, please contact Overlap Canada’s General Manager Rachel Hofstetter.